Tuesday, April 3, 2012

TITANIC Memorial Dedication in Stoughton on April 15, 2012

The public is cordially invited on April 15, 2012 (at 2 p.m.) to attend

A Memorial Dedication of a Bronze Plaque
In memory of a forgotten Stoughton resident

who was victim of the R.M.S. TITANIC

George Quincy Clifford was a forty year old Stoughton resident and the President of the George E. Belcher Last Co.  He perished on his voyage back to Stoughton aboard the R.M.S. TITANIC on April 15, 1912.  George had been traveling in Europe since February 1912 securing contracts for the Belcher Last Co. in hopes to supply more work for Stoughton residents at that factory.  His body was never recovered.  

Location: Please join us 100 years to the day of the sinking of the TITANIC.  We will meet in Stoughton at 4 Capen Street (off Pleasant St. Rte. 139) where we will unveil a beautiful (18x14) Bronze plaque installed on the structure of the former Belcher Last Factory where he worked (now the Rose Forte Apartment building) in Stoughton.  This plaque was made possible by the generous donations of Stoughton citizens and Titanic historians.

We will be joined by some of his descendants who will be asked to unveil this memorial long overdue in the town of Stoughton.  At which time will also be a short memorial service at the unveiling to remember the passengers who died on the TITANIC, and to remember our local resident who perished a century this day.

The service will include words from the clergy of his former church in Brockton; a brief historical sketch of his life by Stoughton historian David Allen Lambert; remarks by invited guests; and the singing of the Mariners Hymn – For Those in Peril on the Sea (the last hymn sung aboard the TITANIC at church services held the morning of April 14, 1912).

After the memorial dedication please attend a reception and open house at the Stoughton Historical Society immediately following at 6 Park Street (corner of Pleasant and Park).

Any questions please contact David Allen Lambert at dalresearch@verizon.net

Sunday, April 1, 2012

The town of Stoughton has purchased historic Glen Echo Park.  This was opened as a park and recreation area in 1895, and had previously been York Pond, and before that home of the Punkapoag Indians.

Thrilled to be on page one of the Boston Globe South today.  If you have a subscription or pick up the Globe tell me what you think.  http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/regionals/south