Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Origin of my Given Name has died - Rest in Peace DAVY JONES.

The origin of my given name has died today.  I was born in Norwood, Mass. and this ties into a sad headline for me personally. So sorry to hear the news that Davy Jones of the Monkees has passed away.  A true story of the origin of my first name. In 1969 my High School age sister put the name of "David" in a hat for babies names for her new sibling.  So I was named for Davy Jones - not a relative, not a neighbor but this now late member of the Monkees.  They always said we were descended from the Apes... so I can trully say that is my link.  In 1986 I attended the Monkees Concert down the Cape with my friend Gina Maraglia.  I had won tickets from WHTT Radio (remember that station?).  But my sister also got tickets so I was around between sets for the evening show as well.  And I met Davy Jones and got his autograph.  I said to him "I was named for you".  After he signed a couple more autographs he leaned over and asked me a question I will never forget "Am I your father?".  I smiled and said no but you were my sister's choice for my given name.  So today I say goodbye to the man where I got my firsl name from.
Davy Jones (1945-2012) Rest in Peace

1 comment: