Monday, February 27, 2012

Peal Street Cemetery in Stoughton an 18th century now Virtually Online

When I was a kid in the 1970's I would often see teens cutting through the old Pearl Street Cemetery.  I knew how important this landmark for Stoughton's history was.  Then one day I saw that a marble marker had been defaced with spray paint.  I knew that action had to be take to record the images so neglect, time and vandalism would not destroy this time capsule.  I have tried to capture every surviving gravestone and inscription for the Pearl Street Cemetery in Stoughton.  It is now safely locked and gated, but you can virtually visit it by going online to the Pearl Street Cemetery site I have on Findagrave.  I encourage others in Norfolk County to adopt at least one small cemetery and try and place our local history out there for all to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment